March 7, 2012

Silk Bonnet vs Silk Scarf

This is something I've always wanted to touch upon. The silk scarf vs the silk bonnet. I will start off with my story.
Rewind Silk - Scarf: I started wearing a silk scarf around the seventh grade. That was when I was experimenting and doing my own hair. Slicking my hair down with lots and lots of gel and tying my head scarf on it so my hair could stay down. I really didn't need it, but all the other girls were doing it so I figured that t must work. I eventually went on to learn that silk scarves are good hair protectants for your hair when you sleep. So now, not only was I using it when I gelled my hair down, but I was also using it when I went to sleep to protect my hair.

Fast Forward - Silk Bonnet: December 2011-January 2012
I put in my big box braids. My head scarf wasn't holding my heavy braids and I didn't want them to get messy. I decided to invest in a silk bonnet. Okay cool. It kept my hair together and everything. I used it for a couple months after until about two weeks ago. I noticed my hair line was thinning out a bit. That was due to the pressure of the elastic. I quickly set aside my bonnet and started wearing my scarf.

Today: Now, I wear both my head scarf and my bonnet for two reasons. One, to keep my scarf on and two, to lock in moisture and protect my head from my cotton sheets.
I will be starting my Green House Effect TONIGHT so I will be wearing a plastic bag, beanie, scarf, and my silk bonnet on my head.

If I had to choose one, I would definitely choose my silk scarf, forever and always. After my little incident with the silk bonnet, I will never go back to using it alone, again. I will only use it on top of my scarf for extra protection, or when I'm doing my green house effect.

Take caution ladies! That silk bonnet can make or break your edges. Be careful. This is just my experience. I'm not saying it will happen to everybody but it's just a heads up. I know there are some of you who prefer one over the other. That is okay! I will put a poll on the left side of my blog. I want to see what you all prefer. Are you team Silk Scarf, or Team Silk bonnet!?

No comments:

Post a Comment