July 17, 2014

The GHE Simplified


The Green House Effect Method or "GHE" is something that I mention a lot on this blog. I have been using it since the start of my hair journey and it has helped my hair prosper tremendously. As a matter of fact, coming across Mika and Ivauno's Youtube channel one night during my freshman year of college is what prompted me to start my hair journey. I consider the GHE to be the advanced version of the Baggy Method, as it focuses on the science of the hair. The GHE promotes the production of sebum on your scalp which nourishes your hair and promotes growth.
At the start of my hair journey I did try to follow the Real Queens Regimen because I did not have one of my own. I eventually branched away from it because I found that my hair does not require much. I knew that I wanted to keep the GHE apart of my regimen and decided to make it "my own". Instead of following it step by step, I would do it the way that was easiest for me.

  1. Twist or braid hair. I usually chunky twist my hair. It does NOT have to be neat or uniformed.
  2. Apply oil to STRANDS of hair. I use Castor Oil, Olive Oil or Coconut Oil.
     (DO NOT APPLY TO YOUR SCALP. IT WILL DEFEAT THE PURPOSE.)
  3. Put on my plastic shopping bag or plastic shower cap
  4. Layer on silk head scarves. Sometimes I use a beanie as a layer to make sure its extra warm.
  5. The end.
I do not wet/dampen my hair because my hair creates its own moist environment almost instantly and I find that adding additional water to my hair creates a smell after a few days. Though it is not extremely modified I found that this is what works best for me. I often wear head wraps or crowns so I am able to GHE for days at a time (as I am doing now). Every night before I go to bed I make sure that my plastic cap did not slip, my edges are covered and moisturized and my scarves are secured. Just remember that you have to be consistent to see results. The more you GHE the better. Just make sure that you do not neglect your hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment